Thursday, October 7, 2010

love.

What we need is to love without getting tired. How does a lamp burn? Through the continuous input of small drops of oil. What are these drops of oil in our lamps? They are the small things of daily life: faithfulness, small words of kindness, a thought for others, our way of being silent, of looking, of speaking, and of acting. Do not look for Jesus away from yourselves. He is not out there; He is in you. Keep your lamp burning, and you will recognize him.

No Greater Love by Mother Teresa



And then a tidbit from probably one of the best sermons I've heard at reality LA from Isaiah 49.

"But Zion said, 'The Lord has forsaken me,
my Lord has forgotten me.'
[God's reply] Can a woman forget her nursing child,
that she should have no compassion on the son of her womb?
Even these may forget, yet I will not forget you."
vs. 14-15

He listens to our groans and objections of God being distant. Then God uses the strongest imagery to show love, that being deep, personal attachment of a mother to a nursing child. A love that is nourishing, intimate, and unconditional.

Then when I think I've begun to understand this love, He blows me away with 'even these may forget, yet I will not forget you' a.k.a 'MY LOVE IS BETTER! stronger, more nourishing, more intimate, more unconditional.

Keep reading to verse 16 and God speaks of how we are engraved on his hands. If we were to have a tattoo on our palm, we would not receive, give, take, or hold anything without seeing that tattoo.

"Behold, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands, your walls are continually before me."


mmhmm.

2 comments:

  1. I love God.
    I am very encouraged by this Heather. Very.
    Thanks for posting words that lead me to the cross and to the lavish love of God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my favorite part of this was "your walls are continually before me." he hasn't forgotten us in our enemy-made (or self-made) captivity. he sees and knows and understands.

    ReplyDelete