Monday, November 21, 2011

I am thankful for....messiness.

My girl that I've written about before...LOVE HER.


As well as this little cutie who reminds me so much of my cousin Gina...but Mexican.

(my funny faces are getting better!!!!)
(Okay she is such a precious head)


After a long day with a high school group from that cares more about AP classes than these girls....I appreciate how much they let me love on them.



So these pics came from today and let's just say I am (and look) exhausted. My mind has been everywhere, my heart has been restless, and my body barely gets sleep. All internal challenges that, for the most part, a good hair day and mascara can cover up. BUT today I decided I wasn't concerned if I looked a little tired or like my mind was elsewhere. I've been reading "A Praying Life" by Paul Miller and one thing he emphasized was come messy.

Instead of aiming to come to God to experience him and feel 'peace'....what if we came to him just to get to know him? What if we came messy. Came disoriented, weary, overwhelmed, chaotic? In Matthew 11:28 Jesus says "Come all who are weary..." so the criteria for coming to Christ in prayer might just be that, weariness. He continues this idea of not trying to come and get our prayers 'right,' but to take off that spiritual mask, to come to God like a best friend and just say "God. Dude. I am everywhere right now, let me tell you about it."

"In bringing your real self to Jesus, you give him the opportunity to work on the real you, and you will slowly change." P.33

I read this and wanted to practice it....so today I came to God in really chaotic ways. Talked to him about my driver who wasn't that friendly. Talked to him about my lack of energy and need for encouragement. Talked to him about seeing my girls pictured above. Talked to him about my heart being hard towards my group. Talked to him about my life in the bay and what that looks like. Talked to him about helping me be careful with my heart. Even talked to him about helping me have time in the morning to finally shower. I took off that mask and took off this idea that God doesn't really know what's on my heart and instead I told him what he already knows.

I want this to become habit for me and not just with God but with people too.
I'm too messy to pretend like I have it all together.


1 comment:

  1. love this. hits home in major, huge ways this month. there's been a lot of mess...a lot of mess that seems too messy to bring before a perfect King. but perfect people don't need a perfect Savior.

    love you, heez! <3

    ReplyDelete