Wednesday, November 9, 2011

So the other day, a middle-aged black man told me...

"My my my you're the prettiest girl I've seen all day."

Things that went through my head:

1. That was the first compliment I've gotten by a stranger in Oakland that wasn't followed by weird-wannabe-seductive look, asking for my number, highly inappropriate sexual comment, or request for money.

2. It's 2pm....so it's not like I was the first girl he saw all day. Sweet!

3. Today I appreciate Oakland.




For the most part, I have a love/hate relationship with Oakland. I hate getting checked out or whistled at (sometimes barked at, true story). I'm far from a model, so I don't understand what about me makes someone think its necessary to bark at me in approval (at 9 in the morning nonetheless). I'm not used to people saying what they think about how I look. I think it might be a cultural thing, who knows.

BUT I thought this was so sincere and sweet and redeemed all of those other situations that made me uncomfortable.

And what girl wouldn't like to be called pretty?

No comments:

Post a Comment